Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Truth About Fellowship

Acts 2:42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. 

     We read right here that the apostles continued steadfastly in the apostles doctrine, I think that we've got a pretty good grasp at that. And that's important, I'd like to point out the importance of continuing in the apostles doctrine before I move on to the point of this blog. We need to continue in this -One God, Jesus name baptizing, God still gives this wonderful tongue-talkin' Holy Ghost- doctrine! And I know that there are a few that are trying to make us "progressive" and move us past truth, we're just gonna continue in this apostles' doctrine if that's alright with you. Maybe you forgot, that it's this doctrine that saved you from a life of sin and unrighteousness. Maybe you ain't saved anymore and that's why you aren't too excited about this truth. Either way, you're the minority, and I'll tell you what Jesus told Peter who preached that beautiful Acts 2:38 sermon, upon this rock shall I build my church, and the gates of hell SHALL NOT PREVAIL against the church. Ok, so we got a movement that loves this doctrine and I thank God for it, but what about the other part of this verse? How do we do with fellowship?
I think we understand what fellowship is, but may I submit to you that I don't think we really get the concept of it, and why it's so spiritually beneficial. Fellowship is defined as being communial, in a community of interest. So is there any place in scripture where we find that who we fellowship with and why fellowship are important? 

I think through the Bible there are many examples. The 12 disciples who turned their world upside down, spent a lot of time around the anointed one, our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. A great example in my opinion is Elijah and Elisha. Elisha followed Elijah everywhere, and Elisha ended up getting a double portion of Elijah's spirit. So what you need to ask yourself is, are you getting the most you can out of fellowship? Are you sensitive to the faith of your believers, and are you building up others by speaking faith?

Are we fellowshipping, or just hanging out? 
We ought to be more on fire for God by the time we are done spending time together, not thinking "well now that my social time is over I need to get spiritually minded again". 

I want to point out this text in Romans 1:8-12 : 8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. 9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; 10 making requests, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you. 11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established. 12 ?That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me. 



Paul says that their faith is world famous! Paul wanted to visit Rome so that he could (1) impart a Spiritual gift unto them, and (2) be comforted by their mutual faith. Faith being belief and trust in God and also action of both the mind and heart upon said faith. Paul wanted to build them up (vs 11) and be built up (vs 12) by their faith.
In the body of Christ, our trust and belief in God, as well as our acts of faith should be contagious. We also must spend time around people with faith so they can build us up.
If in the natural world successful people learn from successful people, then spiritual giants must spend time around spiritual giants, and invest into others to help them grow into spiritual giants. So we have two questions to ask ourselves, 1) Is my faith encouraging to others, and 2) am I spending time around faith builders?


No comments:

Post a Comment