Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Don't Worry, it's Cooked in 0 Grams of Trans Fat

Don't Worry, it's Cooked in 0 Grams of Trans Fat
 Ephesians 4: 29- 29Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

So I was dropping my friend off after church and drove by Wendy's tonight.
Now this was the first time my friend has ever been
 to church with me so I don't pass by this every night.
And I haven't eaten Wendy's in a while.
America has become a health conscious nation.
Fast food won't sell anymore unless they make us feel not so guilty
by adding ALMOST healthy options on the menu.
So I ordered my greasy Chicken Bacon Club (SO GOOD) (WENDY'S PLUG)
and my fries. 
I ate some fries on the way home.
When I sat down to finally finish my meal, I read on the bag.
"Our food is cooked in 0 grams of trans fat".
I'm like, so..... that doesn't mean it's good for ya.
A wendy's single cheeseburger is cooked in 0 grams of trans fat.
Well that's good.
It's missing the major thing.
If I didn't have half a brain I would almost be fulled into thinking it's good for me.
I mean it's not cooked in trans fat.
However, it still does have 470 calories, 21 grams of fat, and 43 carbs.
So I got to thinking.
It doesn't have one obvious thing that's bad for ya (being cooked in fat)
But that doesn't mean it's good for you! 
And I thought "hey, it's like that spiritually too".
How many times do we justify an activity that doesn't separate us completely from God;
but it certainly doesn't bring us any closer to Him?
We think that just because whatever were doing doesn't have
a "major sin" attached to it;
that it's spiritually good for us.
I recall Paul (who wrote our scripture to start this blog)
saying in Romans 14:23
"That whatever is not of faith, is sin".
The Bible also tells us in Hebrews to
 "lay aside every sin and weight that does so easily beset us."
You've heard it before, just because it's not a sin
doesn't mean it's not a weight.
And we think well it's ok
i can handle this weight, I won't let it keep me from God.
The Bible says it EASILY besets us.
Be careful if you think you stand lest ye fall.
That TV show, that friendship or relationship, that website, those group of people,
that place you like to go, that joke you like to tell,
that secret thing you do you think too many people think is a sin
but you justify it cuz your flesh loves it anyway.
It probably IS a sin; but even if it's not,
it's still a weight if it's not drawing you closer to Him.
God is a jealous God.
He wants you more than any of these idols you need to cast down anyway. 
The scripture earlier basically says;
if you don't have anything worthwhile to communicate,
anything Kingdom related, then just keep quiet.
Communication is more than just words
it's a manner of life.
The next verse says grieve not the spirit (eph. 4:30)
The spirit wants relationship with you.
The Spirit is jealous of your attention.

If it's not a minister of grace.
If it ain't bringing you closer to Jesus,
if it's not of faith,
it's sin.
It's separating you from God.
You're grieving the spirit.
It's a functional savior.
It's an idol
You need to cast it down, for your own salvation.
I'll close with the words of Joel Urshan
"There is nothing wrong with entertainment, but we really make too much out of it.... as a child of God our number one source of entertainment, should be to entertain the presence of the Lord". 

No comments:

Post a Comment